Traction alopecia is reversible, but you need to treat it quickly. If you stop wearing your hair in the tight hairstyle that caused it, your hair will grow back normally. But if you continue styling your hair the same way, the hair loss can be permanent.
How long before traction alopecia is permanent?
Traction alopecia is often resolved within six months if it is caught and treated early. In severe cases, it can take as long as one year for a damaged scalp to regrow hair. When hair follicles are badly traumatized over a long period and scar tissue has formed, hair will not grow back by itself.
How do you treat traction alopecia naturally?
Here are some steps to treat this condition:
- Avoid tight hairstyles if possible. …
- Avoid or limit chemicals, including relaxers. …
- Change hairstyles every few weeks to prevent strain on one area of the scalp.
- Try hair growth products. …
- Use anti-inflammatories.
Can I reverse traction alopecia?
According to the British Association of Dermatologists, in most cases, traction alopecia can be reversed, but only if your hair follicles have not yet been permanently damaged.
How do I know if my alopecia is permanent?
You Probably Have Traction Alopecia If…
After this point, people with traction alopecia will start to notice early signs of hair loss, including: Short, broken hairs around your forehead. A receding hairline. Patchy hair loss in areas pulled tight by your hairstyle (rather than thinning all over the scalp)
How do I get my hair to grow back after traction alopecia?
Your doctor might prescribe one of these treatments for traction alopecia:
- antibiotics to prevent infection in any open sores.
- topical steroids to bring down swelling on your scalp.
- antifungal shampoos.
- minoxidil (Rogaine) to regrow hair.
- biotin supplements to strengthen your hair.
Can castor oil help traction alopecia?
Gemma Moodie, resident afro hairstylist at Neville Hair and Beauty, agrees and suggests that the key to encouraging any kind of growth is to gently massage the problem areas with rosemary oil or Jamaican castor oil. “When blood flow to the follicle is stimulated, this then encourages regrowth,” she says.
How do you know if your hair follicles are dead?
When your hair follicles are dead, they do not regrow hair. You can inspect your scalp and look for signs of hair growth. Even if you only see thin hair patches or fuzzy texture, your hair follicles are still alive and will continue to renew themselves.
How do you stop traction alopecia?
What can I do to prevent traction alopecia?
- Wear low to moderate risk hairstyles. …
- Change your hairstyle more often.
- Take breaks between artificial hair use.
- Make sure braids, cornrows, or weaves are not too tight. …
- Wear loose braids around the hairline especially.
- Get thick braids or dreadlocks rather than thin ones.