Common ulcer medications that may cause alopecia (hair loss) are: cimetidine (Tagamet), ranitidine (Zantac), and famotidine (Pepcid). Common anticoagulants (blood thinners) that cause hair loss are: warfarin, coumarin, and heparin.
Can acid reducers cause hair loss?
7) Antacid — cimetidine
Cimetidine (Tagamet) is an over-the-counter acid reducer used for GERD and acid reflux. Hair loss has been reported (though infrequently) in people taking it.
How can I stop my hair from falling out due to medication?
If stopping the drug does not improve hair thinning, you may need to be treated with finasteride (Propecia) or minoxidil (Rogaine), medications that slow hair loss and can stimulate new hair growth. Learn more about how finasteride treats alopecia.
Which drugs make your hair fall out?
Many different types of drugs are thought to cause hair loss, including:
- Acne medications containing vitamin A (retinoids)
- Antibiotics and antifungal drugs.
- Birth control pills.
- Anticlotting drugs.
- Cholesterol-lowering drugs.
- Drugs that suppress the immune system.
What is the side effects of Pepcid?
Side effects of Pepcid are not common, but may include:
- mood changes,
What are the side effects of famotidine?
- blistering, peeling, or loosening of the skin.
- blood in the urine or stools.
- bloody, black, or tarry stools.
- difficulty breathing.
- fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse.
- feeling sad or empty.
Will hair loss from medication grow back?
In most cases, medications lead to temporary hair loss, and your hair will grow back once you adjust the dose or stop taking the medication. In other cases, however, medications can cause you to develop male or female pattern baldness, leading to permanent hair loss.
What is the best vitamin for hair loss?
The 5 Best Vitamins for Hair Loss Prevention, Based on Research
- Biotin. Biotin (vitamin B7) is important for cells inside your body. …
- Iron. Red blood cells need iron to carry oxygen. …
- Vitamin C. Vitamin C is essential for your gut to absorb iron. …
- Vitamin D. You might already know that vitamin D is important for bones. …
How do you reverse thinning hair?
Finasteride and minoxidil, used in combination, are considered more effective at reversing certain kinds of balding than either one alone.
- Take finasteride. …
- Use minoxidil. …
- Use an LLLT device. …
- Get enough of these vitamins and minerals. …
- Try DHT-blocking shampoo. …
- Get PRP treatment.
What type of vitamin deficiency causes hair loss?
Iron deficiency (ID) is the world’s most common nutritional deficiency and is a well-known cause of hair loss.