In addition, other antidepressant medications may cause telogen hair loss too. Fluoxetine is the most common SSRI causing hair loss .
What antidepressants make your hair fall out?
Antidepressants that can cause hair loss include:
- Prozac (fluoxetine hydrochloride)
- Paxil (paroxetine)
- Zoloft (sertraline hydrochloride)
- Tofranil (imipramine)
- Janimine (imipramine)
- Anafranil (clomipramine)
How can I stop my hair from falling out due to medication?
If stopping the drug does not improve hair thinning, you may need to be treated with finasteride (Propecia) or minoxidil (Rogaine), medications that slow hair loss and can stimulate new hair growth. Learn more about how finasteride treats alopecia.
Which antidepressant is worse for hair loss?
Compared with fluoxetine, bupropion had the highest risk of hair loss (HR=1.46, 95% CI: 1.35-1.58, number needed to harm=242 for 2 years) and paroxetine had the lowest risk (HR=0.99, 95% CI: 0.90-1.09).
Does Prozac cause weight gain or loss?
As an SSRI, Prozac increases the levels of serotonin in the brain and these are generally the first-line treatment for depression. Any weight loss you may experience while taking Prozac may only be temporary and weight gain after the first few months may be possible.
What is the best vitamin for hair loss?
The 5 Best Vitamins for Hair Loss Prevention, Based on Research
- Biotin. Biotin (vitamin B7) is important for cells inside your body. …
- Iron. Red blood cells need iron to carry oxygen. …
- Vitamin C. Vitamin C is essential for your gut to absorb iron. …
- Vitamin D. You might already know that vitamin D is important for bones. …
How do you reverse thinning hair?
Finasteride and minoxidil, used in combination, are considered more effective at reversing certain kinds of balding than either one alone.
- Take finasteride. …
- Use minoxidil. …
- Use an LLLT device. …
- Get enough of these vitamins and minerals. …
- Try DHT-blocking shampoo. …
- Get PRP treatment.